a journey filled with many familiar paths and some not yet taken... all leading to the ever-changing destinations just waiting to be discovered.

Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tea Time, Tea Time


Illustration by:  Jessie Wilcox Smith, 1914
 Oh, it's tea time, tea time,
So please, please, write me a rhyme.
Cuz it's tea time, tea time,
For a nickel and a dime.

Oh, it's tea time, tea time,
My monkey is just my mime,
Cuz it's tea time, tea time,
Down from the trees he will climb.


Oh, it's tea time, tea time,
Be it lemon or be lime,
Cuz it's tea time, tea time,
Gardens of clover and thyme.

Oh, it's tea time, tea time,
So, please, please, write me a rhyme.

Petrina Lesko
February 2011

This poem was inspired by this fabulous illustration by Jessie Wilcox Smith from 1914 as shared for this weeks prompt over at Monday's Child:  fair of face hosted by bkmackenzie.  IT is a fantastic blog created to inspire the creation of children's verse.  Check it out to read other wonderful poems or to share your own writings for children.

I am also sharing this post with One Shot Wednesday over at One Stop Poetry.  Hope everyone has enjoyed this post as much as I did creating it.  Have a wonderful rest of your week. 

15 comments:

signed...bkm said...

A delightful rhyme for this fine lady and her Monkey friend....I too love this illustration....and it has proved fruitful....nicely done ...blessings...bkm

signed...bkm said...

Pretina currently Mr. Linky is down for maintenance for a few hours...If you don't I will link it in the morning....bkm

Reflections said...

My One Shot link disappeared this morning, a casualty of the maintainence I suppose. But I am now linked up with 'Monday's Child'. Guess my timing was off on this one.

RJ Clarken said...

This is such a sweet poem - and with its repetition, rhyme and imagery, would probably make a wonderful children's picture book. Are you thinking about submitting this to a publisher?

jabblog said...

Your neat little rhyme would go well set to music.

Margaret said...

So very sweet. I love the repetition.

Anonymous said...

I could almost hear a mother reciting this to her child as mine would have loved to do. Delightful.

Malka Michaela Barshishat said...

Oh so sweet! Makes me wanna sing. :)

Lyn said...

Perfect! Lovely! So glad that I discovered this.. now I must wash my hands as all good children should before starting such a delicate project!

tattytiara said...

So fun and playful. Absolutely delightful.

Unknown said...

This was cute. And as Jabblog said, it might work set to music.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's Monday's Child #34

Anonymous said...

What a rhyme, a rhyme!
At tea time, tea time.
:)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

perfect in rhythms and wordings...
Happy Sunday!

JamieDedes said...

Charming! :-)
Thank you! Smiles here.

Amateur Economist said...

The perfect rhyme ,
helped you to write at tea time !