a journey filled with many familiar paths and some not yet taken... all leading to the ever-changing destinations just waiting to be discovered.

Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Thoughts of Friendship

I have learned over the years that many people come and go in our lives, but friends remain in our hearts no matter how close or far they may be from us in miles.  And sometimes... we are lucky enough to be reunited with friends whom we have lost touch with.  Whether they are in our lives on a daily basis, a few times a year, or even those who we only get to see on rare occasion, still as friends, they can touch our hearts and thoughts each and every day.

The following poem is one I wrote many years ago to let some friends know how much I appreciated the impact that they left on my being.  (Just recently, I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to share it with one of the friends it was written for.)

Friend


The many discoveries about myself this year,
So often filled with such anxiety and fear;
The battles were great, the triumphs too small,
It wouldn't have happened without you near.


The hidden feelings you so often found clear,
The struggles I fought so as not to hear;
The eyes were wet, the tears to fall,
It wouldn't have happened without you near.


When I was down you helped me to cheer,
A friend was needed, you acted the peer;
The phone would ring, you thought to call,
It wouldn't have happened without you near.


For me you acted the long needed mirror,
You helped me confront the pain and the fear;
You showed me strength, destroyed the wall,
It wouldn't have happened without you near.


You're a friend to cherish and to hold dear,
It wouldn't have happened without you near.

I hope you enjoyed the poem.   I look forward to sharing my reflections with you all.

No comments: